After months of waiting, Apple has finally released the highly anticipated iOS 10.3 update for its devices across the globe. I was randomly checking to see whether the update had arrived and was surprised to get the update on my iPad Mini 2 and iPhone 7 Plus.
For now, Apple users across North America, Europe, India and Pakistan have confirmed their devices getting the update. Sources had earlier sought out a minimum of two weeks before Apple would officially begin rolling out the new update to iOS 10, but it seems as if the smartphone giant was hard at work to bring it out to users sooner than expected.
iOS 10.3 With Find My AirPods
The biggest feature of iOS 10.3 has to be the addition of Find My AirPods. This will allow those Apple users who own AirPods to locate them using the Find My iPhone app. You can now either check their current or last know location and even have one of them or both play a sound when scavenging for the tiny wireless headphones. This feature should definitely be useful for those of you who are prone to losing their AirPods and I certainly don’t blame you. AirPods are probably the easiest Apple accessory to lose.
Siri Gets Updated with iOS 10.3
Siri is now better than ever as the latest update to iOS 10.3 brings in some much needed improvements. Now, you can easily do the following through Siri in your Apple device:
– Check and Pay Bills through Payment Apps
– Schedule and Book Rides through Ride Sharing Apps
– Support for Automaker Apps to Check Different Details of Your Car
– Getting Cricket Updates of the Indian Premier League and International Cricket Council
Official iOS 10.3 Update Release Notes
“iOS 10.3 introduces new features including the ability to locate AirPods using Find my iPhone and more ways to use Siri with payment, ride booking and automaker apps.
Find My iPhone
• View the current or last known location of your AirPods
• Play a sound on one or both AirPods to help you find them
• Support for paying and checking status of bills with payment apps
• Support for scheduling with ride booking apps
• Support for checking car fuel level, lock status, turning on lights and activating horn with automaker apps
• Cricket sports scores and statistics for Indian Premier League and International Cricket Council
• Shortcuts in the status bar for easy access to last used apps
• Apple Music Now Playing screen gives access to Up Next and the currently playing song’s album
• Daily curated playlists and new music categories in Apple Music
Other improvements and fixes
• Rent once and watch your iTunes movies across your devices
• New Settings unified view for your Apple ID account information, settings and devices
• Hourly weather in Maps using 3D Touch on the displayed current temperature
• Support for searching “parked car” in Maps
• Calendar adds the ability to delete an unwanted invite and report it as junk
• Home app support to trigger scenes using accessories with switches and buttons
• Home app support for accessory battery level status
• Podcasts support for 3D Touch and Today widget to access recently updated shows
• Podcast shows or episodes are shareable to Messages with full playback support
• Fixes an issue that could prevent Maps from displaying your current location after resetting Location & Privacy
• VoiceOver stability improvements for Phone, Safari and Mail”
The update is a major upgrade to iOS 10 and is considered rightly so as it is expected to be the last one before iOS 11 comes out. Since iOS 10 came out in September of 2016, 10.3 had seven beta versions released to developers before being finalized.
Users are recommended to backup their data before upgrading since the new Apple File System (APFS) will be implemented and may cause issues with older data formats and certain apps. iOS 10.3 Is available OTA for all Apple iOS 10 users and can be updated through iTunes as well.
Let us know how your journey towards updating to iOS 10.3 goes in the comments section below.